Back To Career News

If You Ask for a Raise, You’ll Probably Get One – Here’s How

Image Credit: Pexels /

Only 37 percent of workers have asked for a raise at their current organization. As for the other 63 percent, our research shows that if they asked for a raise, they’d probably get one.

Only about one in three workers have ever asked for a raise at their current place of work. Based on PayScale’s research – as noted in our latest report, Raise Anatomy: How to Ask for a Raise and Get It – that number should be much higher; if you ask for a salary increase, you’ll probably get one. In fact, 70 percent of workers who asked for a raise received either the increase they asked for (39 percent), or they received an increase, though not what they asked for (31 percent). It literally pays to ask.

Only 30 percent of the workers who asked were denied an increase.

Do You Know What You're Worth?

Sadly, our research also showed a certain type of person is more likely to receive an increase than others: white men. Women of color were 19 percent less likely to have received a raise than a white man, and men of color were 25 percent less likely. (There was weak evidence that white women are also less likely to receive a raise, but these results are not statistically significant.)

What to Do to Increase the Odds of Getting a Raise

If you’re planning on asking for a raise, the best thing you can do to improve the odds you’ll get one is… prepare. That means doing your homework: making sure you have concrete reasons as to why you deserve a salary increase – and examples on hand, if applicable – and data to demonstrate your value in the labor market.

Depending on your exact situation, there are myriad other ways you can prepare for a successful salary negotiation. PayScale’s Salary Negotiation Guide is jam packed with articles giving advice specific to negotiating salary, negotiating benefits, negotiating tactics that can level the playing field for minorities, and what commonly made negation mistakes and missteps you can avoid with a little preparation.

Additionally, PayScale’s free Salary Survey can show you what people like you – with a similar job, credentials, experience and tenure – are making in your area. Our salary database is the largest in the world, ensuring you get the most accurate information on the market rate for workers like you.

We show you precisely what you should be getting paid, giving you the facts you need for fair, easy and open salary negotiations with your employer.


Have you recently asked for a raise? How did it go? We want to hear from you! Leave a comment or join the discussion on Twitter.

Leave a Reply

Notify of
What Am I Worth?

What your skills are worth in the job market is constantly changing.