Creativity is a wonderful thing, but it can also be pretty difficult to pin down. How exactly do we tap into it and utilize it most effectively? Which practices, conditions, and mindsets propel innovation?
If your work relies on being creative on a regular basis, you probably ponder questions like these fairly often. Thankfully, many of the innovators and creative people we admire have been sharing their thoughts on the matter for centuries. Here are a few quotes that will help inspire you.
1. “Creativity is intelligence having fun.” – Albert Einstein
2. “The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short, but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark.” – Michelangelo
3. “All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.” – Pablo Picasso
4. “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” – Maya Angelou
5. “I’m always thinking about creating. My future starts when I wake up every morning… Every day I find something creative to do with my life.” – Miles Davis
6. “One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.” – Helen Keller
7. “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” – Thomas Edison
8. “Done is better than perfect.” – Sheryl Sandberg
9. “Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do, and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.” – General George S. Patton
10. “Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds.” – Albert Einstein
11. “I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them.” – Pablo Picasso
12. “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” – Henry Ford
13. “Creativity is just connecting things. When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty because they didn’t really do it, they just saw something. It seemed obvious to them after a while.” – Steve Jobs
14. “Go and make interesting mistakes, make amazing mistakes, make glorious and fantastic mistakes. Break rules. Leave the world more interesting for your being here.” – Neil Gaiman
15. “There is no innovation and creativity without failure. Period.” – Brene Brown
Tell Us What You Think
What’s your favorite quote about creativity? We want to hear from you! Leave a comment or join the discussion on Twitter.