What is the best way to get the salary you deserve? Surprisingly, the answer is rather simple. Ask for it. PayScale.com recently surveyed 31,000 users to find out how many people have asked for a raise. We analyzed and published the results in this comprehensive Salary Negotiation Guide. The findings are alarming. Over half of the total survey respondents (57%) have never asked for an increase in pay. On the other hand, 75% of individuals who asked for a raise received some type of salary increase. Clearly, if you do not ask, you do not have a chance at getting the paycheck you deserve.
During this 30-minute chat we’ll also discuss the following questions:
- Have you ever negotiated your salary for a position? If so, how was your experience?
- How should employees prepare for salary negotiations?
- When it comes time to negotiate salary who should lead the conversation?
- What are some common mistakes people make when negotiating salary?
- What are people most afraid of when it comes to negotiating salary?
- Opinions vary regarding the appropriate time to discuss salary; when is the ideal time to discuss salary?
If this will be your first time joining us for #PayChat, check out the “Introducing #PayChat” post for more information. #PayChat typically happens on the last Wednesday of every month at 10:30 a.m. (PT) and as always, feedback is appreciated. If you have a topic that you would like us to discuss in a future #PayChat, please share it on Twitter or in the comment section below.
Tell Us What You Think
We want to hear from you. Do you have any stories to share or questions to ask about salary negotiation? Send us a tweet, join #PayChat or leave a message in the comments.